[3830] ARRLDX CW W6YX(N7MH) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Feb 19 06:27:39 EST 2019

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Stanford
Operating Time (hrs): 36:38

  160:    5     5
   20: 1088   103
   15:  106    42
   10:   10     5
-------------------
Total: 1998   299  Total Score = 1,791,309

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I arrived at the W6YX shack a couple of hours before the contest start to get
set up and was surprised that two unfamiliar faces were there. One was Zac,
KD2BHC, a new Assistant Professor in the Aero/Astro department who was founder
of the Kicksat project while at Cornell and was trying to use the club's
satellite equipment to communicate with a satellite. I don't know if they were
ultimately successful but they were in and out all weekend, returning for
successive passes.

I worked a couple of JAs on 15 just before the start but they were weak by the
start and I ended up with only 13 JAs on 15.

Low bands were quite good but our 160 TX antenna is ailing so few could hear
me.

I missed a couple of hours on 40 and 80 early Saturday evening when I put in an
appearance at a dinner party at my house with out-of-town relatives. They had
gone to the showing of Hamilton in San Francisco the previous evening and were
talking about the "Panic". I had no clue what this was until I got
caught up with the news on Monday.

I took time off both nights during some of the best hours for JA/Asia on 40.
Horrible noise came up, possibly from the pouring rain, and I couldn't copy the
weaker stations so I decided that was a good time to get some sleep.

I missed the brief opening to EU on 15. 20 was open well to Europe and it was
difficult to decipher calls in the pileup of fluttery signals so for a while I
neglected the second radio. My best rate of the contest was the first hour of
the EU opening on 20 with a 60-minute rate of 148.

Europe was 39% of my log including 587 EU on 20. JA was 35.3%.

Thanks for all the Qs.

73,
-Mike, N7MH