[3830] ARRLDX CW PJ2T M/M HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Feb 19 07:54:38 EST 2019

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: PJ2T
Operator(s): WI9WI KB7Q N5OT W0CG NF9V VE3CX K2PLF WA9S W9VA
Station: PJ2T

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Curacao

   80: 1433    60
   40: 2116    60
   20: 2062    60
   15: 1584    59
   10:    9     4
-------------------
Total: 8052   300  Total Score = 7,209,900

Club: CCC

Comments:

Thanks to everyone for the contacts. It's always great fun to hear so many
familiar callsigns and renew so many friendships, eight seconds at a time.

As I type this at my Curacao office desk there's a gleaming white cruise ship
passing by eastbound just offshore, the birds are singing, and the sun is high
and bright. This in contrast to the snowiest February on record at home in North
Idaho. This makes me all the more grateful to the 18 members of our PJ2T group
for helping to make it possible to be in this beautiful place in the sun, now in
our 19th year of continuous PJ2T operation.

We were disappointed in 10 meters after a pretty good experience with it in WW
SSB. The band was solidly open for several hours to the southern tier states:
TX, LA, AR, NM, AZ, and Southern California, but nobody seemed to know that and
we couldn't seem to draw many spots. N2IC called in from NM with a perfectly
solid signal, but the word did not get out and we ended up with only nine Qs on
10 when many, many more were possible. The other bands were in decent condition
and we particularly enjoyed 40 and 160. Our most difficult of the feasible
multipliers this weekend was DC. Many thanks to VE4 for showing up, even on 160.

Thanks to WI9WI for coordinating the contest strategy and the operator schedule
(thankless), and to KB7Q and N7IR for all they do, seeing to it that the station
was in good condition. Gene handled the logs and made things work during the
weekend. A M/M in this remote location is always a heck of a challenge to set up
and keep running.

Each QSO this weekend was doubly delicious because this was the first big outing
with our new 100 foot Rohn 55 tower. The old one was dangerous and beyond repair
after 18 years in the salt spray, and last October-December we worked hard to
remove the old one and replace it. This new one is properly coated against the
salt and installed with only stainless and aluminum parts, applying all the
lessons we have learned about proper salt-proofing. This was a massively costly
and difficult project, made possible after three years of generous donations
from our members and even from some outside our CCC club. Several of our members
also donated time and labor and their airfare to get here and help, and we're
particularly grateful for the help from W3YQ who brought his professionalism and
crane experience to bear in the final week, culminating in erection of the tower
on December 4.

Thanks again to all in the contest community for being friends. It's a gigantic
extended worldwide family of contesters and we're honored to be part of it.

Stay warm, 73 from the Tropics,

     - Geoff, W0CG, PJ2DX for the entire PJ2T gang