[3830] ARRLDX CW 8P5A(W2SC) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Feb 19 14:47:21 EST 2019

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: 8P5A
Operator(s): W2SC
Station: W2SC

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Barbados

   80: 1010    60
   40: 1712    60
   20: 1979    60
   15: 1568    60
Total: 6907   311  Total Score = 6,444,231

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

We lost the Internet Access to the shack about a month back and I could no
longer monitor the cameras, so we did not know what to expect when we arrived.
Fortunately, there was no damage to the the shack, but there was no running
water.  We also had a wildfire across the street that brought the fire and
police department.  It was that kind of week but we eventually got it all
resolved.  The radio stuff was less eventful although one amp was erratic for a
couple days and eventually failed on Friday morning.  I did have a spare
available, but no longer had a margin of error.

Expected the high bands to be a challenge, but was very surprised by the low
bands.  They were the best I ever heard during a contest from here.  That was
important because 20 closed about 30 minutes into the contest and it would be
long night on the low bands.  Fortunately conditions were excellent and I had a
fun evening.

20 and 15 were productive the next morning and I was running on both bands. I
did the dual CQ almost all weekend.  About 22 hours into the contest, I was
slightly ahead of my best ever QSO year, despite not a single QSO on 10.  Around
that time, my wife Kathleen stopped by for her only visit of the weekend and I
told her I was having a great time.

When she came back to bring me home after the contest I told her it was all down
hill after her visit.  The next 26 hours were much slower and it was a real
struggle to get any rate.  Had a couple of good hours late Sunday afternoon, but
it was a difficult day.

Was worried all weekend about missing out on a potential 10 Meter opening.  I
had a third radio displaying a 10 meter waterfall all weekend.  Not seeing
anything, I made a quick trip to 10 every 15 to 30 minutes just to be sure.  I
thought I heard N5CQ once, but made no QSO's the first day.  The second day was
no different.  There was nothing obvious on the waterfall, but I listened for
myself every 15 minutes.  Since the other bands were slow, I thought it was
worth the risk.  On one trip, there was a real trace on the scope.  I tuned up
the band and it was K3LR calling CQ.  I gave them a call and had my first 10
meter QSO.  I tuned up a few kHz, called CQ, and worked a quick burst of
stations.  The start was reminiscent of openings in recent contests and I was
sure the band was ready to open wide.  Alas, it did not.  I got a couple more
answers and that was it for 10.  I spent the rest of the contest wondering if I
was lucky enough to catch a quick opening, or had I missed the big one.  It
looks like persistence paid off and I captured the narrow opening.

When it was over, I had my second best ARRL QSO total.  While I did not work
VO2, VY0 or VE8 on any band, I did not miss any of the "easy" ones on
15-80.  I usually miss a few. Special thanks to VY1AAA for calling in on 4
bands.  Also, the station hardware and software was flawless all weekend.

Thanks for all the Q's and a great event.

73, Tom W2SC

QSL via LoTW or HA1AG