[3830] ARRLDX CW GM5A M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Feb 20 08:19:32 EST 2019

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: GM5A
Operator(s): MM0GPZ GM0ELP GM0LIR MM0CCC MM0ZBH GM3WOJ
Station: GM5A

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Mull of Kintyre

   20: 1700    60
   15:  518    49
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total: 4602   268  Total Score = 3,703,224

We travelled to an excellent beach-side location in SW Scotland – near
Muasdale on the Mull of Kintyre (a 6-hour car journey from my QTH near
Inverness)  This was my second year of involvement with the GM5A team – this
year we welcomed a new team member Paul MM0ZBH, replacing Colin GM0RLZ.

All antennas and the two stations were assembled portable-style on the Friday
– the weather was kind to us all weekend, except for a constant Southerly wind
which peaked at about 50mph early on Sunday morning, causing our two RX loops to
fall down, but luckily none of the TX antennas were damaged.

Equipment :   2 x K3 + Amps
Antennas : 160m = Inverted-L, 80m = Quarter-wave vertical, 40m = Phased
verticals (Christman feed) on the beach, 20m to 10m = separate 2ele DJ2YA VDAs
on the beach. 1 x K9AY RX loop (good), 1 x FO0AAA RX loop (useless)

We found conditions fairly good overall – apart from 40m which was a real
disappointment on the Saturday, but was very busy for the last 5 hours of the
contest. Our QSO total was about 1500 Qs more than in 2018, with a similar
set-up.  GM5A finished with 4747 QSOs, less 153 dupes = 4602 scoring QSOs.

Thanks to all US and Canadian stations for the QSOs!

73    Chris   GM3WOJ
o.b.o. the GM5A ARRL CW team