[3830] NAQP RTTY K7HKR Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 24 17:29:04 EST 2019

                    North American QSO Party, RTTY - February

Call: K7HKR
Operator(s): K7HKR
Station: K7HKR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: AZ

   15:    0     0
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  182    74  Total Score = 13,468

Club:

Team:

Comments:

6-foot diameter magnetic loop (20,40,80)
9-foot diameter magnetic loop (80)
2el short-beam Yagi (15...not!), all antennas up around 15-20 feet
IC-7300 barefoot, all S&P, from AZ

We had one of the biggest snowstorms in local history on Thursday and Friday (25
inches at my QTH), which complicated putting up and taking down antennas over
the weekend.  But, at least I didn't have the weather problems that others had
during the actual contest.

20 meters was long with very few QSOs west of the Mississippi.  Non lower-48
QSOs were BC, QC, HI, Honduras, and Brazil.  Apparently I put up the 15-meter
Yagi too late because I only heard one signal on the band...Brazil, but he
didn't hear me.  Between putting up the antenna with all the snow on the ground
and on the house and carport roofs (I have to get the elements above the lowest
parts of the roofs to install them), and listening for signals, that wasted an
hour.

After 20 dried up around 00UT, I was off to 40 which was more balanced between
near and far.  At 0245UT, I decided to swap the 6-foot loop for the 9-foot loop
so I could also work the 160 contest.  That wasted more than an hour because I
stuck with RTTY through the end and can do 80 on either loop.  But, even with
the calculated 10% efficiency on 80, I made 53 QSOs in the last 2 hours, and
that includes having to re-tune the loop every 5 kHz.  I was really surprised at
how well I was heard and even reached the East Coast a few times.

I worked a total of 36 states plus DC, and a lot of stations on 2 or 3 bands.
This is just my second RTTY contest, but I think I'm getting hooked!