[3830] CQ160 SSB W5MX Single Op Assisted HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 25 19:06:40 EST 2019

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: W5MX
Operator(s): W5MX
Station: W5MX

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: ky

Total:  QSOs = 870  State/Prov = 56  Countries = 39  Total Score = 236,645

Club: Kentucky Contest Group

Comments:

Late start by about 3 hours Friday night due to work and set-up time. Condx were
pretty darn good Friday night although there were some thunderstorms to the
west. The storms caused some QRN, but not unbearable. Unfortunately these storms
seem to be becoming the norm for 160 contests the last 2 years from KY and
Southern USA. EU stations were loud enough to break through the QRN and quite a
few hit the log. EU sunrise had a pronounced enhancement this time. Propagation
to the West was also good, west cost and KH6 coming though quite loud.

Saturday was much more difficult. The slow moving storms that were further to
the west were now closer, and eventually right over my QTH. Had to QRT for 2
hours + due to very near and overhead lightning. After the storm passed to the
east, it was of course now between me and Europe/NE USA and VE. Apologies for
the repeats on otherwise strong signals, it was brutal. The lightning was
constant enough where there was a sustained s3 to s5 noise level on the NE
beverages and 20 over 9 peaks during closer lightning strikes. This of course
takes out many layers of stations. I normally have s0 noise level here.
Listening to a few beacon EU stations, conditions were definitely down Sat night
compared to Fri night. Several that were s9 Fri were down to S4/S5 or lower Sat
night. Conditions to the west were also a bit, although not nearly as pronounced
as to the NE. Perhaps storms to the NE affecting propagation to some degree? One
of the most fascinating parts of the hobby for me, the wonders of propagation.

Ok, enough whining. In spite of all the challenges, I managed to get together a
decent score. Overcoming adversity is what this game is all about sometimes to
me. I guess if it were that predictable and easy, it would not be nearly as
challenging and anyone could do it!

Thank You everyone for the Q's as always and see you next weekend in ARRL DX
SSB!

73's from Kentucky
W5MX
Bryan