[3830] RTTY Roundup N8URE SO Unlimited QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 6 21:27:05 EST 2019

                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: N8URE
Operator(s): N8URE
Station: N8URE

Class: SO Unlimited QRP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:     8       6
   40:    10       0
   20:    60      12
   15:     4       0
   10:     0       0
-----------------------
Total:    82      18  State/Prov = 36  Countries = 2  Total Score = 3,800

I lost an hour and a half of time at the start of the contest, as my power was
knocked out when a squirrel got onto the transformer outside my building.
Luckily everything worked the rest of the time. I barely reached my goal of 100
contacts.

I tried my hand at using FT8 for the contest, but it didn't work that well for
me. I had much better luck with RTTY, even being QRP. Maybe it's because the FT8
users also have more modest stations. I had a harder time completing contacts
than with RTTY. I found that working split on a single frequency worked better
than calling on-frequency, otherwise I could never get through, and the
suggestion to call +60 or +120 Hz higher didn't work with so many people working
in a single 3000 Hz window. Twice the software had a bug where it started
calling CQ RU8URE rather than CQ RU N8URE. I think FT8 would be better for a
QRP-only contest or maybe a DX distance contest. I wil l try it again with VHF
soon.

Equipment: RS-HFIQ radio with HDSDR, Fldigi, MMTTY.
Antenna: Full-wave loop for 20 m strung around my apartment balcony, tuned to
other bands with rebuilt MFJ-9201 tuner (of course the original parts broke,
it's an MFJ).