[3830] RTTY Roundup W6SX SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 7 12:19:37 EST 2019

                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: W6SX
Operator(s): W6SX
Station: W6SX

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Mammoth Lakes, Calif

-----------------------
Total:   1361      0  State/Prov = 55  Countries = 28  Total Score = 112,963

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

The RU from Hell!

Twenty-meter SWR went high Saturday afternoon. Out into the storm to find and
replace a spreader that had arced over. Very pleased with myself to complete in
only 26 minutes and avoid taking an off-time when I didn't want it.

Later in the evening, another SWR fault on twenty. Dark and stormy so repair in
morning, hopefully before Euro window (which never happened here).

1-1/2 feet new snow overnight. I slept for 4+46, so for off-time management,
needed to make repair in 1+14 or less. Everything much harder and slower with
the fresh snow. Another arced spreader. Finished repair in 1+12. Whee!

It wasn't over. Ferocious, gusty winds twisted the inverted-V fan legs and I had
to go out again around noon. This one was easy--only 20 minutes lost.

After breaking my fast Monday morning, I took a good look outside. Ho Boy! Huge,
ferocious winds overnight, even worse than Saturday and Sunday. Three feet of
new snow. Only parts of antenna still intact are the flattop (#10 copperweld and
Mastrant) and west 80-meter dogleg. The inverted-V fan legs are a terrible
combination of broken wires, broken spreaders, with whatever wires left twisted
multiple times. At least I (sorta) got through RU. AND! at least we got snow!

W6SX Prime Directive: The first rule of contesting is to have fun--which I did.

K3, ACOM 2000A, wire antenna at 46 feet with Matchboxes and MB-V-A, MMTTY,
2Tone, N1MM+