[3830] RTTY Roundup K7RU(@K7BTW) M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 7 14:45:55 EST 2019

                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: K7RU
Operator(s): K7BTW K7VAP K7EDX N9ADG
Station: K7BTW

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Rainier, WA

   80:     97      2
   40:    317     22
   20:    669      8
   15:    143      1
   10:      0      0
-----------------------
Total:   1226     33  State/Prov = 56  Countries = 34  Total Score = 113,310

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

We operated under the callsign K7RU from the station of K7BTW for this year’s
RTTY Round Up. The callsign was appropriate! We wanted to be ready for anything,
so we were prepared to operate both RTTY and FT8. Most of the team members have
used FT8 before, so all are familiar with the mode’s capabilities. If it helps
the rate, or increases the score, we’re all for trying something new.

On Saturday morning a few hours before the contest start, the bands held such
promise — Asia was coming in on 40m while EU was workable long path. We never
saw anything like that on Sunday morning.

During the contest, our use of FT8 was specialized: we kept a station on FT8 on
’the other open band’ looking for multipliers that we’ve not worked or
rarely worked before in the ARRL RU. We perceive that we worked perhaps 6
multipliers on FT8 that we wouldn’t have with just RTTY.  Had we known that EU
wasn’t to be, we would have spent more time using FT8 chasing EU mults.

The windstorm that left nearly 300K without power (and still affects) on late
Saturday night / early Sunday morning hit during our rest period. Despite our
rural location near Olympia, Washington, our power was only out for about 10
minutes.

Our overall score is reduced compared to last year. We worked about the same
number of stations, but had 10 fewer mults. Overall, our malt count was also
about the same as last year.

After the contest, we discussed how much fun it might be to do this contest next
year from one of the Caribbean venues where we’d be really popular as the only
station on the air.  Or maybe North Dakota.

Happy New Year!