[3830] RTTY Roundup WB0TEV SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 7 16:43:55 EST 2019

                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: WB0TEV
Operator(s): WB0TEV
Station: WB0TEV

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: NTX
Operating Time (hrs): 10:31

   80:    68       0
   40:   138      14
   20:   228      20
   15:    17       4
   10:     0       0
-----------------------
Total:   451      38  State/Prov = 54  Countries = 40  Total Score = 45,966

Club: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

Only a part time effort (10h31m) due to competing opportunities/demands.  As
expected, FT8's primary utility was for scooping up DX mults (40% of DX mults
came from FT8) while RTTY of course was the mode for rate.  Of US mults, only
missed OK as I am too close here in NTX and I wasn't on the air Saturday night
when I could have gotten it on 80m.  Only worked the main VE mults (QC,ON, MB,
SK, AB & BC) the remainder were conspicuous by their absence.  Most exotic
mult from FT8 was 9L1YXJ.

I seriously doubt that FT8 will supplant RTTY in this contest long term, despite
the concerns of some.  It will however make a nice supplement, a source of
otherwise unobtainable DX mults and for the big guns who manage to work the
bands dry otherwise it will provide a pool of fresh meat as I suspect there are
many FT8 types who don't do RTTY contesting but will dive in to the RU.

Kudos to Rick Ellison N2AMG (the chief RTTY/digital coder on the N1MM team) and
the rest of the crew for coding up an initial interface between N1MM+ and WSJT-X
in support of this and other RTTY/Digi contests.   For something that was coded
up in a hurry it worked out pretty well and I'm sure will only improve in
further releases.   Rick and others even hung out on the N1MM+ groups io
reflector during the contest fielding questions and assisting those that didn't
have a setting or two quite right.  Indeed that's what alerted me that I needed
to go back into the N1MM+ contest setup and choose DIGITAL instead of RTTY and
do a Rescore Current contest to have it pick up and score the FT8 QSOs
properly.

73,
Victor WB0TEV