[3830] RTTY Roundup AB1J SO Unlimited LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sat Jan 12 09:42:06 EST 2019

                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: Waltham, EMA
Operating Time (hrs): 3:20

   80:    30
   40:     8
   20:            12
   15:     4      16
   10:
-----------------------
Total:    42      28  State/Prov = 26  Countries = 10  Total Score = 2,520

I did this short excursion into the ARRL Roundup to double check my previous
experience in the FT8 Roundup in early December where I had about as many QSOs
in 20 hours as I had in the July NAQP-RTTY in 10 hours.  For me, FT8 had half
the rate of RTTY.

So I wanted to try both in the same contest and had the same experience as
before.

The new interface between WSJT-X and N1MM+ worked fine. I logged everything in
N1MM+.

I don't see FT8 as a good contest mode in HF contests.  I think it's worth
developing further for contests where it might be useful, such as non-RTTY
multi-mode digital contests, VHF contests, and the ARRL FD. Maybe also on 160m,
which is medium frequency, not HF.

I like it for everyday operating.  I'm not interested in ragchewing, so the
short, straight to the point QSOs suit me well.  It has reasonable weak signal
performance (but PLEASE don't go QRP on me).  It should replace RTTY for
DXpedition digital operations. I like it for working DX but wish more countries
were more active. And it would be nice to have an FT8 DXCC endorsement (why
can't DXCC be more like WAS?).

So, I'm fine with FT8, just not for contests.

I'm hoping the ARRL Roundup FT8 guys see how much better RTTY is in terms of
rate and decide that's the way to go.  That way FT8 will serve as a gateway into
RTTY contesting and maybe other contesting modes too.

IMO. it is more difficult to set up an effective RTTY station than FT8.  You
can't just throw one together and get the best results.  Mine took several years
to refine and perfect but I didn't have any Elmers to help out.  So we should be
prepared to encourage and assist new digital contesters on RTTY.

73,
Ken, AB1J

Flex 6500
N1MM Logger+
MMTTY(narrow) MMTTY(wide) 2Tone(Selective) GRITTY(narrow)
WSJT-X
20m & 15m attic dipoles
80m & 40m outdoor 66' stealth wire, Dentron manual tuner and indoor
counterpoise
LoTW  eQSL  ClubLog