[3830] NAQP CW N8SBE Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 13 17:53:44 EST 2019

                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: N8SBE
Operator(s): N8SBE
Station: N8SBE

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MI

  160:   11     7
   15:   25     6
Total:  309   112  Total Score = 34,608

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Team: NCC/MRRC Team 5

Comments:

The local and remote QRN gods smiled on me, and I enjoyed typical S3 or lower
noise on all bands except 160m, which was plagued by the neighbor's plasma TV.
Otherwise, no discernible static crashes, a distinct change from typical
spring/summer atmospherics.  Still plugging away in S&P mode on CW.  Never
have the nerve to try to run when my code speed is still hovering in the 25 wpm
area, when every one else is running 30-35 wpm or higher.  2 el. spider boom
quad on 20-6m up 40 ft, and ZS6BKW dipole up 35 ft. for 40-80m.  I tried it on
160m, and couldn't get the SWR below about 3:1, so the K3 was running only about
50W, but I did manage to make a handle of contacts on 160m, most of them
multipliers for that band, so all in all, not bad.  My goal was to make 300+
contacts, so that worked out fine from my viewpoint.

NAQP is among my favorite contests, because it favors the 'little pistol' that
doesn't have a linear, and who's low band antennas favor regional coverage vs.
DX.

73,

-- Dave, N8SBE