[3830] NAQP SSB N6ZFO Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 20 01:55:39 EST 2019

                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: N6ZFO
Operator(s): N6ZFO
Station: N6ZFO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 9:49

  160:   10     7
   10:    8     6
-------------------
Total:  610   164  Total Score = 100,040

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC Team #3

Comments:

Fearing a impenting virus, I asked K6DGW for a reduced team assignment.  But on
Fri, instead of pills and bed, I embarked on a 4 mi 1000 ft elevation gain hike.
. and that was the magic remedy to banish the virus leaving it in the hands
(actually head) of my XYL Barbara.

Big event:  working K0UK, Bill in CO, on 6 bands, five bands random and one move
from 15 to 10m.  In CW NAQP Bill was S-1 on 10m but today S-8.  So moved others
-- ending up with 6 nearby state mults. . only w7ww and I missed the connection.
. I could hear him, but not the reverse.  Late Sat night, K2RD (NV) moved me to
10, where he was S--9 and we smoothly worked our way down to 80m, but I wasn't
ready on 160; heard him there S-9+30 later, but we never connected.  So just 1
6-bagger. Last minute qso with W6YX pushed me over 100,000.

40 m opening occurred very early, mostly during my 2 hour off time.  Should have
cut the off time and gone there earlier.  Was working East coast stations one
after the other at 0145Z but then band fog descended.

Conditions os awful here, this will be my last NAQP SSB ever. . well at least
until the next one.  At least my voice held out very well, finally recovered
from the smoke damage of the summer fires.  I'm now a big believer in reducing
particulates in the air  Our Lake county has, most years, had the lowest or 2nd
lowest small particle counts of all counties in the US, but this summer was a
sad exception, and the effect is very noticeable.  The amazing good ears of
WI9WI and others were a joy to experience.

73 and thanks for the many QSO's, many of which were a struggle.

Bill N6ZFO