[3830] ARRL Jan VHF KF2MR/R Rover LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 21 15:33:49 EST 2019

                    ARRL January VHF Contest

Call: KF2MR/R
Operator(s):
Station: KF2MR/R

Class: Rover LP
QTH: WNY

    6:   78     9
  432:   86     9
  903:   51    10
  1.2:   53     9
  2.3:   32     9
  3.4:   24     7
  5.7:   18     6
  10G:   20     6
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  532    91  Total Score = 151,333

Club: Rochester VHF Group

Comments:

To honor the 70th anniversary of the Rochester VHF Group, we had big plans for
this contest, which included a heavy rover showing and dozens of fixed stations.
Mother nature had competing plans and she won. By the time the contest started,
roads were covered in snow and travel was getting dangerous. By Sunday morning
we had about a foot of snow, a travel restriction was in effect, and very few of
the normal rover locations were accessible. I took my chances as did a couple of
other rovers, but for the most part we stayed off the hilltops or limited our
visits since there was no safe place to park. Nearly half our rovers decided
(smartly) to stay home and a couple who came out on Saturday operated from home
on Sunday. I lost out on some 5&10G attempts as wind chills made it painful
to setup outside the car or it was snowing so hard that my IF radio was getting
way too wet and I had to abort. I think this contest finally provided the
motivation to build a 5&10G combined station I can operate from INSIDE the
car.

Despite all of this, the rovers that did not make it to the hilltops provided a
ton of local rover-rover contacts and for the most part the fixed stations were
still on the air. Lots of local FM activity as well. I stayed busy the entire
contest. Somehow this all resulted in my largest score ever.. under the worst
conditions ever..

(Visited FN22,23,13,12,02,03)