[3830] ARRL Jan VHF VE7AFZ/R Unlimited Rover HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jan 22 00:30:08 EST 2019

                    ARRL January VHF Contest

Call: VE7AFZ/R
Operator(s): VE7AFZ VA7RSM
Station: VE7AFZ/R

Class: Unlimited Rover HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  56     0  Total Score = 1,472

Club: Pacific Northwest VHF Society

Comments:

Roved to CN99 and CN89
29 Q`s on 50 Mhz and 10 unique grids on 50 Mhz
19 Q`s on 144 Mhz and 7 unique grids on 144 Mhz
8 Q`s on 432 Mhz and 4 unique grids on 432 Mhz

Had a fun contest.  Steve VA7RSM and I visited CN99 on Saturday and CN89 on
Sunday.   Had high winds, snow, rain, hail, mud etc to deal with on Saturday and
the skid plates on my truck got put to use on the forest road we were driving
on.   The weather was much nicer on Sunday and the site we visited on Sunday had
a paved access road.

Managed to make QSO`s on 50, 144 and 432.  Was pleasantly surprised at the
propagation on 144 Mhz from CN99 on Saturday.   Only made 5 digital mode qso`s
(all using FT8 from CN89) but was able to get two additional multipliers via
that mode and one or two of the other qso`s probably would not have happened
without FT8.   In my opinion operating as a Rover station with a /R call was
significantly easier with WSJT-X V 2.0 than in the past with earlier versions of
WSJT-X.  Thanks again to the WSJT-X team for their efforts.

Despite the low number of QSO`s and only making QSO`s using three bands (vs the
five I had hoped for) I was pleased with the number of multipliers.   Special
thanks to the other rovers that I worked, WE7X/R, WW7D/R and K7BWH/R who
provided many unique multipliers.  Working N7KSI in CN86 on 432 Mhz with 20
watts into a log periodic antenna from CN89 was also a nice surprise.

Thanks to the contest organizers and all who participated.