[3830] CQ160 CW W5MX Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 27 21:55:57 EST 2019

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2019

Call: W5MX
Operator(s): W5MX K4FT
Station: W5MX

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: ky

Total:  QSOs = 1328  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 56  Total Score = 497,991

Club: Kentucky Contest Group

Comments:

Was able to head out of work around 1pm local time Friday (4 hours before
contest start) to get everything loaded up, drive to the station location and
get set up. WX was quite cold here so first order of business to get the
woodstove going to warmup the cabin (as usual for winter contests).
Walked the beverages to clear a few branches that had fallen since the Stew
Perry test. Ready to go by 22:00 z. Took me a while to get a good fire going so
kept having to run from the shack to the stove to add wood periodically so
pardon and small gaps in response to answering my cq.

John K4FT had volunteer licensing exams to give Saturday so I went at it alone
the first night. Condx were very quiet the first night, but very few EU in the
log. The prop was pretty good to the south and west though. Ended first night
around 860 q's which is quite below my average for a major 160 contest.

The second night had much improved condx to EU as others have noted, with over
160 worked. Still down from normal, but definitely pulled the score up
drastically. If it hadn't improved as much as it did, we would have had a pretty
low score. John operated a big portion of the second night, so I mostly kept the
fire stoked, generator full of gas and cleaned up around the cabin (normally
don't have much time to do that, it needed it).

Tried to work ZL and JA stations Sunday morning but no luck. We missed the 2
hour before local SR to nearly SR opening that favors that direction -  we were
both sleeping. Might have been able to pick them up if we had been on a bit
earlier.

As usual, it was a great time. Nice to work all the familiar calls, something to
be said about call recognition in weak signal or QRM/QSB situations.
Best 73's all and thank you for the Q's as always!

Bryan W5MX