[3830] CQ160 CW N1LN Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 28 08:48:16 EST 2019

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2019

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): N1LN N4CW N3ND WA4PSC
Station: N1LN

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: NC

Total:  QSOs = 1528  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 65  Total Score = 666,730

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Wow, how quiet could 160 meters get and to align that with a CQWW contest?
Unfortunately, it was too quiet on Friday night – Saturday morning as the EU
to NA signals were just not there.  We were watching RBN on another monitor and
when we were spotted in EU, which was quite rare, we were only 5db to 6db over
the noise level.  At Saturday morning shut down we only had 48 10 point Qs in
the log.   Fortunately, that was to change and Saturday night – Sunday morning
and in a big way.  Our first EU QSO got in the log at 2226 UTC or 1726 local
time at our local gray line.  By the end of day 2 we had grown the initial 48 to
264.  After having such outstanding conditions for the ARRL 160, except for the
high QRN and static levels, this is what we were optimistically looking for both
nights.  Oh well, we were happy to get one good night.  At one point Dan was
working 1 NA Q for every 9 EU Qs.  That lasted for over 1 hour.

Our NA mults were missing a couple of expected Canadian provinces.  Where was MB
and PE?   Our final count was 57 and others had 58 and 59 so we must have missed
a couple Canadian mults but it sure was not for lack of trying.  Our final US
mult was SD.  A big THANKS to WD0T.

We would also like to give a big SHOUT OUT to the Contestonlinescore.com site
and the other Multi Op teams that were logged in.  Friday night we could see
everyone struggling.  Saturday night we could see everyone having a great time.
Thanks to the NA teams at W2GD, KM3T, NR4M and W2FU for using the site.  Also,
it was fun to watch our contest within a contest with NR4M and the Goat Farm
team.  We must have had 20 or more lead changes from Saturday night to Sunday
morning.  Then NR4M pulled away, perhaps enjoying the EU path longer than we
did, and finished almost 40K points ahead of us.  If you have never tried
real-time scoring.  Give it a try in the future.

Finally, the team.  I would like to, once again, thank Dan, N3ND – Bert, N4CW
and Howie, WA4PSC for making the weekend so much fun and enjoyable both on the
air and off.

Equipment:

Single K3, ACOM 2000A
2 Inverted Ls that are bent a few times with 4 elevated radials each
Comtek phasing box
Several Beverages (wire and otherwise)

See you next time!

73,