[3830] CQ160 CW K3ZM Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 28 09:47:12 EST 2019

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2019

Call: K3ZM
Operator(s): K3ZM
Station: K3ZM

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Virginia

Total:  QSOs = 1507  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 64  Total Score = 785,532

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Propagation to the West Coast on Friday night was excellent.  I have never
worked so many VE7’s.  But in the first hour, I did not work a DX station of
any kind, which is a first.  Not many EU’s were calling in the first night.
So I concentrated on accumulating QSO’s and stateside multipliers.  Through
seven hours, I had 704 contacts, which is high for me.  My first hours were as
follows:

Several KH6 stations called in on Friday night.  Never worked a VK, ZL, KL7, or
JA the whole contest.  At bedtime Saturday morning, I had 950 QSO’s in 46
countries and 56 states.  Total score was 335,376 but I had only worked 129
EU’s.

It was quiet both nights.  Only a bit of QRN late Saturday night before
sunrise.

Saturday brought more EU’s as expected.  After enjoying hundreds of five-point
contacts amongst themselves, they become more interested in inter-continental
QSO’s, I guess.  What we need over here is more Canadians!  After the latest
Presidential election, I got really excited.  So many disaffected voters had
been threatening to move to Canada and I was hoping we could encourage them to
take up ham radio and learn the Morse code so they could operate in this contest
– and work me!

I have to apologize to 7Z1SJ.  Each time he has called me in a CQ 160 contest,
without exception, I have come back initially with LZ1??  You think I would
catch on eventually.  I heard 4X2M a couple of times with a fine signal but
missed him.  Never heard the A6 that some have written about.  Some good DX was
ZP5DBC.  Was happy to work RT9A Saturday night.

The band got super crowded both nights.  There is plenty of room to spread out.
On Saturday evening, I bolted and went well above 1850 at one point and had a
fine EU run that might have made the contest for me.  In last year’s CQ 160
Phone contest, I found VY2ZM on 1997 running EU’s like mad.

My final tally of EU’s was only 382, which tells most of the story in this
affair.  But that was not the only disappointment.  Before the contest, both of
my brothers had set up challenges.  George, K2DM, informed me that he was going
to try to work me with his KX3 with 15 watts and a low, short wire – from
Iowa!  Really?  Now, Iowa is a long way from the coastline of Virginia.  I never
heard a peep from K2DM.  Meanwhile, K1ZM was going to be operating from JW5E in
the Arctic Circle on Saturday night.  I listened keenly the entire night, always
keeping at least one antenna pointed to the Northeast.  No luck there, either.
So I sent Jeff an email:  “Ace - yesterday evening, I worked every one of the
Nordic nations, usually multiple times.  I worked OH2, OH0, SM6, LA7, and also
RT9A, which should have taken my signal almost right over your sorry [tail].  No
JW5E.”

I also never heard Patrick, KK6ZM, so I pitched a complete shutout on the
coveted Worked All Briggs award.

I misssed SD, VE4 and PEI.  I have never worked the exotic VE stuff.

I need to thank Mike, W4AAW for some vital help that he gave me in operating
remote from my home in Charlottesville.  Dennis, W1UE also was happy to consult.
 Many thanks!  Now I have been able to get on the air more.  All contesting
still done from here, though.

FAREWELL TO W4MYA

Bob was an inspiration to me in this contest.  His determination to “stay in
the chair” set a great example.  I used to cheer for him to win these 160
contests back in the day.  As we go through life, we are comforted by the
familiar and the reliable.  The Sun rises in the East and sets in the West.
AA1K is on 1820.5 calling CQ each morning, and, in the CQ 160 Contest, W4MYA was
parked on 1829.5 banging out CQ’s for hours and hours.  Run ‘em!

Thanks for all the QSO’s.

73,

Peter  K3ZM