[3830] ARRL Jan VHF NC5AX/R Limited Rover LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jan 29 12:15:41 EST 2019

                    ARRL January VHF Contest - 2019

Call: NC5AX/R
Operator(s): AF5WN KK5WA
Station: NC5AX/R

Class: Limited Rover LP
QTH:

    6:  17      4
    2:  14      3
  222:   2      2
  432:   8      3
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  41     16  Total Score = 816

The prior 3 January VHF contests have seen temps in the 50s and 60s in Arkansas.
This one was definitely winter. We changed our plan several times due to
forecast wx, then still ended up driving into snow and ice, which caused us to
change plans again. From what we heard, a lot of people changed their plans
because of ice and snow.

We managed to make FT8 work for mobile contacts, but a device driver issue
caused major headaches.

Driving in the ice and snow covered roads of western Arkansas and heard W5VY/R
calling CQ from West Mountain in Hot Springs. Pat invited us to his QTH to see
his shack and his rover setup. We thoroughly enjoyed it and were very impressed
with Pat's rig.

Thanks W5ZN and W5VY, and to all our local STARS and NCAARS club members that
made contacts with us. We're already brainstorming for June.