[3830] IARU W6YX(N7MH) SOABCW HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jul 14 18:51:12 EDT 2019

                    IARU HF World Championship - 2019

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: SOABCW HP
QTH: Stanford

  160:     5            1       1
   80:   256           20       8
   40:   655           36      23
   20:   839           32      32
   15:   215           16      15
   10:     2            1       1
-------------------------------------
Total:  1972    0     106      80  Total Score = 1,143,900

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I got a good start with over 130 Qs in each of the first 3 hours and was 50 Qs
over last year's effort after 5 hours. Then the rate dropped dramatically.

The morning EU opening on 20 was marginal. At least half of the EU HQ stations
that I heard weren't workable. There were few non-HQ stations to be heard and no
EU came back to my CQ.

15 was mostly weak NA and SA and finally some of the EU HQ stations could be
worked. Only EU zone mult was 28. Heard several zone 36 (EA8, CT3) but not able
to bust the pileups.

I visited 10 maybe 5 or 6 times. The only signal on the P3 was my second
harmonic from 20 except around 1700 when I worked VP9DX and also heard weak K5CM
and K0EJ, probably beaming east.

N6BDE spent much of the day at the shack and with the slow rates I took several
breaks to chat and check out what he was up to.

Conditions began improving a couple hours before sunset. 40 was surprisingly
good at that time and 20 began to show some life. Just after sunset 20 was
filled with loud Europeans and I managed to work all of the HQ stations that
were not hearing me earlier.

80 and 40 were productive and drew me away from 20, but noise was a factor in
copying weaker signals, particularly on 80 where Beverages helped. I hoped to
catch a late evening opening to JA on 15 but got there late and found a couple
of new Asia mults but no JAs.

Our 160 antenna is still not healthy and I managed to work only zone 6 and
W1AW/7. W0UA in zone 7 was loud but didn't hear me at all.

The peak of the JA/Asia opening on 20 seemed to be around 0600Z but may have
been earlier as I hadn't been beaming that direction when Europe was strongest.

Thanks to K6DAJ for a late move to 10 for the zone 6 mult and my only 6-bander.

Final comparison to last year - down about 200 Qs, 100 each on 20 and 15, more
Qs on 80 balances the deficit on 10. Mults down a few mostly due to fewer on
10.

73,
-Mike, N7MH