[3830] IARU K7RL SOAB(A)Mixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jul 14 19:52:08 EDT 2019

                    IARU HF World Championship - 2019

Call: K7RL
Operator(s): K7RL
Station: K7RL

Class: SOAB(A)Mixed HP
QTH: WA

  160:    18     0      6       2
   80:   189    23     20       6
   40:   344   251     33      22
   20:   558   679     36      33
   15:    59     5     16       4
   10:     6     1      4       1
-------------------------------------
Total:  1174   959    115      68  Total Score = 1,245,315

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

Here’s my score, such as it is. Happy to report the station performed
perfectly. Wish I could say the same about the operator.

After a busy week, I neglected to do my usual planning/strategy work, and
instead flew through this contest by the seat of my pants. That left me feeling
somewhat scattered going in and I think it shows in my score. This is my lowest
total in IARU in many years - maybe ever.

Notable is my low HQ mult total. I focused on running and less S&P thinking
my assisted effort would quickly produce mults with a mouse click – big
mistake #1. Most received spots were worthless and the majority of mults were
found S&P on the second radio, or called in during runs. Not sure why I
bothered to go assisted this year.

Like most every contest in 2019 so far, everyone else in the world seems to
enjoy more robust openings on 10m and 15m. 15m was open much of the day, but
signals were weak, and attempts to run were generally unproductive. I worked EU,
but arrived late to the opening (refer to my opening paragraph). Heard a few
weak JAs floating around the band working other stations, but regrettably missed
them. Never checked for that possible late night opening to Asia. Big mistake
#2.

Periods on 20m and 40m SSB stateside were incredibly productive with hourly
rates above 180. It took all of my brain power to process the pile-up, so no
second radio Qs during those runs.

Big thanks to ground wave VE7UF and K7HBN for two new zones on 10m. Cool to get
KL0R in the log from zone 1. VE7UF and KL0R were five banders; we only missed
160m. Happen to catch NU1AW CQing all alone at 23:00z. They are my only six
bander. Tried CQing myself at that time, but no takers.

If you got this far in my write-up, thanks for reading, and for letting me vent.
This is almost over, I promise.

One last point to make is on that awful low band QRN. Was it unusually bad or
what? Had to give up on a few ops that popped above the noise for a moment with
part of a callsign, but never surmounted the raging roar. If that was you, I
apologize. Heard others calling that never made it above the roar to get a call.
Again, apologies. Hopefully we’ll get it next time.

All-in-all a fun contest. Nice to work the regulars and new ops too. Thanks for
the Qs.

73, Mitch, K7RL