[3830] CQWW VHF VA7ST SOSB/6 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jul 22 03:29:50 EDT 2019

                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest - 2019

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SOSB/6 HP
QTH: BC

    6:  43     34
Total:  43     34  Total Score = 1,462

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Most of the time was pretty bleak on 6M, though there were moments when the band
popped open with a contact or two. N1MM counted 4.5 hours operating time, but I
know for sure I went many more hours calling, leaving, coming back to call some
more, without replies.

FT4     3 Qsos
FT8    35
MSK     5

Had hoped for more meteor scatter contacts on Sunday morning, and was very
surprised to make so few FT4 contacts. That new faster submode should rock for
this contest, but hardly anyone was up on 50.318.

I hung out down in the phone band several times, called CQ to populated areas,
and landed precisely ZERO SSB contacts. No CW heard all weekend. That's pretty
sad.

It was still fun, and the gear worked as well as I expected given the lack of
real openings during the contest period. Funny how the hours after the contest
ended, 6M opened up widely across NA and I added another half-dozen new FFMA
grids.

Acom 1000
6M7JHV at 40 ft.
IC-7610
WSJT-X 2.1.0

Yagi has to look through tall Ponderosa pines due east, so I missed all the New
England area stations that I could hear other locals working. That's frustrating
but helpful to know where my blind spots are. Definitely not as good ears to the
east as my fellow operators in neighboring DN09 (a few miles south with a
horizon farther away and lower).