[3830] NAQP RTTY AA4LR Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jul 23 12:42:14 EDT 2019

                    North American QSO Party, RTTY - July

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA

Total:  319   119  Total Score = 37,961

Club: South East Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

Antennas:
Cushcraft A3S/A743 at 15m high (40-10m)
Shunt-fed 15m tower (80m)

Equipment:
Elecraft K3/100 w/ KAT3 running 100 watts
Acer 1400P laptop

Comments:

Found myself at the Loganville QTH with time to operate on a Saturday. What a
joy!

Things started out rough when my cranked up my laptop 10 minutes before the
start. It decided it could not boot, so it proceeded to "fix" the boot
problems. After more than 30 minutes, Windows decided it could not
"fix" the boot problem. I rebooted a couple more times, and it cranked
up just fine. Why the hell did it waste 30 minutes of my time??? I hate
Windows.

Once I managed to get the software configured, I'd missed over 30 minutes of the
contest. 10m was hopping. I spent the first hour on 10m I took a break around
1945z, which turned out to be a bad idea. 15m wasn't as strong as 10m later.

20m was pretty steady from 2100z onward. 40m was a disappointment. Early on
signals were low, and noise levels were high. Generally, I can get good rate
calling CQ, but it wasn't in the cards this time. I could never find a lot of
activity on 40m -- perhaps everyone hung out on the high bands.

80m was even noisier, and folks had trouble hearing me. I miss having the low
dipole at 12m high, which always seemed to work well in the early evening. I'm
going to have to build another one.

All in all, a good outing. Good to hear RTTY on 10m!