[3830] CQWW VHF VE3SMA Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jul 23 14:54:27 EDT 2019

                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest - 2019

Call: VE3SMA
Operator(s): VE3MM VE3RX VE3SMA
Station: VE3SMA

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: Muskoka, ON

    6:  225   109
Total:  271   136  Total Score = 43,112

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Steve (VE3RX) and I arrived at the site just before 1500 UTC and set up two
masts with Yagis and two stations, somewhat Field-Day-style (except we had a
house to operate and sleep in).  We were just about ready when the contest
started.  And it started with a bang... the first three 2m QSOs were in W5-land!
Many hours of Es on 6m on Saturday - spotty on Sunday but with some interesting
dx. 2m also yielded a couple of grids well beyond our usual range (on FT8), on
top of those worked by sporadic-E (but did not yield our own grid or the
next-nearest one). We quit a bit early on Sunday so we could dismantle the
station and drive 2-3 hours home before falling asleep!

The bulk of the 6m QSOs ended up being on FT8, SSB being usefully active only
when the Es was at its peak.  Small numbers on CW, FT4 and MSK144.  2m was more
evenly divided between SSB, CW and FT8, with no MSK144 QSOs resulting from a
minimal effort.  No EME was attempted this time around.

The end result was a substantially better score than the previous FN05 multi-op
efforts from this location and it appears to be well past the previous Canadian
multi-op record score.

Many thanks to Steve, VE3RX, for a big effort to supply the 6m equipment and in
setup and take-down (and for making most of the 6m QSOs), which made the whole
thing possible. And thanks also to Rick, VE3MM, for giving the two Steves a
break from operating on Sunday when we needed it and staying in the chair for
some tough slow hours!

If anyone needs the grid confirmed, I should have the log uploaded to LOTW in a
week or so, and will respond to direct QSLs mailed to my address on qrz.com.

73,
Steve VE3SMA