[3830] ARRL June VHF W2IRT Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jun 9 23:38:37 EDT 2019

                    ARRL June VHF Contest - 2019

Call: W2IRT
Operator(s): W2IRT
Station: W2IRT

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NJ

  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  171    85  Total Score = 14,535

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Experienced some real issues involving the integration between N1MM Plus and
WSJT-X v2.0.1, which were largely solved by tinkering with settings throughout,
and with help on the N1MM reflector. I still don't think this software pairing
is ready for prime time, but it is what it is for now, at least.

Day one had some decent openings to the midwest and west coast in the early
evening. Day two...not so much. Worked only two needed grids all weekend, but
granted that's getting a lot harder now!

First contest with an amplifier on 6m. I don't know if it helped or not, since I
still missed quite a few mults, but I'm glad I had it. I didn't log which QSOs
were made with the amp and which were barefoot, but I think it was about 60-40
barefoot. Radio, amp, and antenna system worked perfectly. A pleasant surprise
after this past year.

This is one of my favourite contests of the year if there's even a shred of
propagation, but I've gotta say, I seriously do NOT like the fact that FT8 has
taken this contest over. I ventured down into the SSB and CW sub-bands on a few
occasions and worked everybody I could hear on phone. I didn't hear a single CW
station during the times I was down there, whereas I could run down there in the
past.

I'm now 100% convinced that there is a very real need to break this event into
two weekends: CW/SSB, and Digital. If not, it's just going to become a 100% FT8
(or FT4) contest in the future. And while that's fun in its own way, it's very
much NOT in keeping with this contest's history.