[3830] ARRL June VHF WQ5L Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jun 10 10:30:37 EDT 2019

                    ARRL June VHF Contest - 2019

Call: WQ5L
Operator(s): WQ5L
Station: WQ5L

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EM50
Operating Time (hrs):

  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  121    66  Total Score = 7,986

100W, 5 el LFA @25'

Pretty much a slog from this part of the world. I hope other places had it
better.

The first few hours were nothing but the locals. Late in the afternoon signals
started showing up from the FN grids, but this was the spotlight-type opening
where signals would peak up to a high level and then drop right out, often to
return a few minutes later.

Sunday morning early was again open to FN and a few FM when I turned on the
radio. Once again there were never many signals at once and they would bubble up
and down quickly. This weak E cloud was persistent, though, and as these things
often do, it shifted west over time, offering shots into the EN grids and
finally eastern DN grids before moving out of range a little before noon.

Then came a few hours of mostly nothing, and finally in the last two hours some
multihop Es popped first toward the northwest and later southwest. I copied
JA7QVI for a couple of FT8 cycles but that was it. No AK or HI though, darn.

The only DX in my log is EA8DBM. Notably, I never heard a peep from the
Caribbean basin which is usually a chip shot from here.

I only made 9 CW and 8 SSB Qs. The rest were FT8. At no time did I hear more
then 4-5 stations when sweeping the CW/SSB segments. Poor condx like this would
tend to herd ops into FT8 I guess. The rate on FT8 was especially abysmal,
though, with so many repeats needed due to signals dropping out. Next time we'll
have FT4 which should help.  73 -- Ray WQ5L