[3830] ARRL June VHF N5RZ Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jun 10 12:16:25 EDT 2019

                    ARRL June VHF Contest - 2019

Call: N5RZ
Operator(s): N5RZ
Station: N5RZ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH:

  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  175    81  Total Score = 14,175

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Was pretty fired up for this one, though I knew I would be 6M only since I have
completely taken apart the operating positions to incorporate the new FLEX 6600.
The radio worked flawlessly and the operator is slowly learning how to use it!

Condx were generally poor here in Central TX.   Had fun doing MSK144 and
probably spent too much time doing that, but it was certainly more fun that
doing FT8.  When the band was open (which was rarely!), I stuck to SSB & CW,
knowing that FT8 was really sucking the activity on those modes away.   The only
real good opening was Sunday morning to W8, W9, and northern W0 land, the
quality of which would normally (in the past) generate tons of rate on CW or
SSB, but not this year.  The times are a-changing I guess.

Finally had had to QRT when a line of thunderstorms moved in about 2230Z Sunday
with heavy lightning, wind, and heavy rain which never let up, and the power
finally went out about 0230Z.  It is my understanding there was another good
opening during this time period - too bad I wasn't able to be on for it.

QSO breakdown:  CW = 18   SSB = 100  FT8 = 33   MSK144 = 24

Did have a nice visit from N6TR and XYL Saturday eve & Sunday which helped
pass the time during the slow periods (there were a lot of those!).  Sure was
frustrating to look at DXMaps!

Thanks to all for the QSO's. and congrats to all the high scorers.
Hoping for better condx next time, and hope to have the 2M and up stuff going.
And hope to have better antennas for 6M as well.  Just need to get towers up if
the WX would cooperate!

FLEX 6600-Elecraft KPA1500,  3el Cushcraft yagi @ 50'  N1MM+ and WSJT-x

73,  Gator