[3830] ARRL June VHF K1HTV Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jun 11 17:14:31 EDT 2019

 Band   Mode  QSOs Grids

 50    CW      5     3
 50   FT8    290   112
 50   USB     15     9
144   USB      3     2
======================
Total        313   126

Score: 39,438

Despite some of the negative comments made about poor conditions on 50 MHz, if
you were there at the right time and the right frequency (50.313 KHz….I know,
Urggghhhh FT8!)  you might have found that there was plenty to make the June VHF
Contest interesting.

When the contest started, I got on 6M SSB and CW and found the band was open to
the mid-west. I tried to make some 2 Meter QSOs but was getting reports that the
signal was FMing and not easy to copy. .It looked like RF from the new 2m SSPA
was getting into the K3’s internal transverter. So, I bagged it and plan to
work on the problem after the contest.

So, I stuck with 50 MHz. Not find much to work after the first hour I headed up
to 50.313 where things were hopping with plenty of stations and grids. The skip
stayed in until around 10PM local Saturday evening. I spent another 30 minutes
working locals before calling it quits for the night.

Sunday morning after church I was greeted with 6 Meters open to VP9, CO, HH, 9Y
and HI (no. not Hawaii, the other HI).  Between 18 and 2030Z, the skip
disappeared. But just before 22Z the band opened long enough to hear an EA and
to work a G and an EI station.

I broke for supper at 21:30Z Sunday. When I returned to the shack at 00Z, 50.313
MHz  was loaded with Left Coast stations. Between 00Z and 01:30Z I worked 28
stations in W6, W6 & VE4 land, for many new multipliers. It was a fun Sunday
evening for those who didn’t give up on the band. I know that for the upcoming
CQWW VHF test I will spend more time on SSB when the band opens up.

73,
Rich – K1HTV