[3830] ARRL June VHF W4IY Limited Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jun 11 19:21:10 EDT 2019

                    ARRL June VHF Contest - 2019

Call: W4IY
Operator(s): W7IY WA0DYJ KM4KMU
Station: W4IY

Class: Limited Multi-Op HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  222:    1     1
  432:   11     7
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  280   106  Total Score = 30,952

Our June tradition was interrupted by the Forest Service. They closed the road
to Flagpole Knob in FM08. So our group split up. One gang went to Blue Knob in
FN00 and the other went to Shenandoah National Park in FM08. We operated as W4IY
and the other group (calling themselves the Lone Gunmen) used W4AD.

Six meters was open most of the contest during the day, which was a good thing.
We lost our 2M W6PQL amp afteronly an hour of operating. A big spark shot out of
the side. Turns out one of the FETs in a switch circuit shorted to ground. So
that left us with 7W from the Elecraft 2M module in our K3S. (Should have
brought a second rig with 100W or a brick.)

This was an expirement for us in downsizing. We used KM4KMU's famous rover rig,
which appeared in QST after he set the FM record. We had one station instead of
2. We had to learn a new operating plan of moving people up the bands. Without
2M, it was hard - as you can see from the score!

FT8 was a lot of fun, but it was hard to figure out when to shift to USB. We
decided to move when we saw high S/N reports in FT8. I enjoyed the Sunday
opening to FL on 6. I worked W4DC, who was working back into VA at the same time
on 40M. Merging the logs was hard. At one point we had both JT Alert and WSJT
sending records to N1MM. At another, we didn't have JT Alert up at all.

The weather was pretty good. Sun and chilly wind most of the time. Our group
stayed at the resort. Friendly staff, but nothing to write home about.

W4IY plans to go back to Flagpole in September. We'll run the same scaled down
station to see if demand is higher than the supply.

Thanks to all the people on the VHF contest reflector. Their info about the site
was invaluable.