[3830] ARRL FD KI4MZC 1B QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jun 23 17:55:18 EDT 2019

                    ARRL Field Day - 2019

Call: KI4MZC
Operator(s): KI4MZC
Station: KI4MZC

Class: 1B QRP
QTH: GA

   20:   92             1
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:  264     0       1  Total Score = 2,650

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

KX3 to a long wire fed through a home-made 9:1 un-un, 5w, CW and RTTY (although
I was only able to make one RTTY exchange).  I set up my portable QRP station in
a small clearing on a local estate.  I thought I could easily set up the station
in less than two hours but was fiddling around with the antenna so much I lost
track of time:  I almost didn't make the opening dit! As it turned out, the
antenna became an "inverted L" with the vertical leg about 30' and the
horizontal leg going south about 50' to a tree limb a little higher.  I forgot
the counterpoise initially and put it on around midnight, but the antenna did
o.k. without it.

I only operated about 20 hours of the 24 allowed mainly because of lightning
storms that came through about midnight and because of the battery power for my
laptop.  The radio battery (lithium-iron-phosphate - Bioenno) would have lasted
the whole time and even longer.  Even with an external Dell battery power-pack
that recharges the internal battery, I ran out of laptop power at about 11:30am
local time on Sunday.  Still , I think that's pretty good.  I would have gone on
with the laptop operational but I was pretty well tired-out by then so I didn't
attempt paper logging.

Bands were ok starting.  20m started out pretty strong and 15m was ok too.  In
the early evening 40m was noisy and going into later evening 80m was almost
unbearable and stayed that way.  I didn't plan to use 160 with my antenna but I
did get on and almost made an exchange.  Thanks to that other ham for trying.
As Saturday night went on, 40 started to pick up and became less noisy and 20
stayed alive. I worked many eastern US and Canadian stations, some mid-west
stations, and even some western stations (SD, SK, etc.) in the early evening
Saturday.  Sunday morning before sunrise I started hearing Hawaiian stations
calling on 40 but couldn't work them.  They were loud, too!  15 and 20m started
to pick up and, in the last fifteen minutes or so of my operation, I checked
10m, which seemed to be dead previously, and it was alive and kicking.  I made
my last 6 exchanges then on 10m.  DX did not seem to be working for me; other
than Hawaii, I remember only hearing a couple of DX stations - European - the
whole time.  Not terribly bad for about 80' of speaker wire.

This was my first solo portable operation like this and it was great fun.
Thanks for the q's and sticking with my qrp signal!