[3830] ARRL FD AB1J 1D LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jun 24 11:16:42 EDT 2019

                    ARRL Field Day - 2019

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: 1D LP
QTH: Waltham EMA
Operating Time (hrs): 8:45

   40:   57     3      18
   20:   60            54
   15:    5     1      14
   10:                  3
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:  122     4      89  Total Score = 596

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

This is primarily for Auld Lang Syne as FD back in 1960 was my first good
contest experience. Opened my eyes to the possibilities. I haven't been on a FD
since 1981 and am not likely to do another.

Folks don't generally seem aware there is an EMA and a WMA. Plus the leading dit
in EMA tends to get lost. EMA always results in lots of repeat requests.

On a similar note, one guy just gave me PA for his section. After several overs
using enhanced interrogation techniques he 'fessed up to being in EPA. Now I
know and he knows.

Much FT8 FD activity took place on the regular FT8 frequencies, except for 20m
and some 40m where ops used the alternate frequencies.

In terms of fun and ease of QSOs, CW beats FT8 which beats SSB. The problem with
CW is I've been there and done that since 1960. I put in a lot of my time on
FT8, but it just doesn't have rate. Next year we'll have FT4. One advantage is
that the FT4 ops will likely stick to their own frequencies and not mix in with
FT8 elsewhere. We'll see about that.

I worked one RTTY station. No PSK attempted.

I always forget how quickly activity drops off after 1800z on Sunday.  I wanted
to get to 200+ QSOs and had to scramble to get there.

73,
Ken, AB1J

Flex 6500
N1MM Logger+  WSJT-X  MMTTY
20m, 15m & 10m attic dipoles
40m outdoor 66' stealth wire, Dentron manual tuner
LoTW  eQSL  ClubLog