[3830] ARRL FD N4BP 1E LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jun 24 21:00:33 EDT 2019

  2.3:     0    0       0
  3.4:     0    0       0
  5.7:     0    0       0
  10G:     0    0       0
  24G:     0    0       0
----------------------------

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

My emergency power was to be the 16kW-h Li-Ion battery in my 2017 Chevy Volt
backed up by its ICE (internal combustion engine) if needed.  First, a little
about the archetecture of the Volt: The ICE is not connected to the drive train
but rather runs a generator to power the two electric propulsion motors.  Both
that generator and the Li-Ion main battery are selectively connected to a
300VDC-12VDC inverter that powers all of the accessories in the Volt as well as
charge its 12V battery.  The Volt's inverter is capable of 175A, so its output
is my source to extract power with a 1000W 12VDC-110VAC Pure Sinewave Inverter
from Samlex.  When the Volt is "running", it is programmed to shut
back down if not driven for two hours or so.  To defeat this, it is necessary to
set the e-brake and set the shifter in neutral.  For safety, and to prevent
theft (vehicle ready to be driven off!), I backed it up close to the garage door
and parked another vehicle in front basically blocking any movement.  An
extension cord brings my Samlex inverter's 110VAC to the kitchen to power the K3
and laptop.  First problem: The Samlex sits on a platform in the rear of the
Volt exposed to the sun through a huge rear window.  When I went out at 1:30PM
Saturday to turn it on, it was too hot to even touch and of course would not
start due to its heat protection.  I cooled its heatsink down with a wet cloth
and started the Volt's A/C which would obviously be needed during the hours when
the sun was at its strongest.  But now I would definitely need an assist from
the ICE during FD due to the A/C's heavy draw.  All of this configuration
thoroughly confused the Volt!  At the end, the ICE had been running for roughly
half the FD hours, yet the Volt reported full driving range and a full tank of
petrol.  Sunday afternoon when I filled the tank, it only took 0.6 gallons at a
cost of $1.50, so the ICE provides a very efficient gasoline engine generator.
Good to know during hurricane season..

Field Day went well.  I was able to run much better on 40M than I recall from
previous 1D operations.  When I got around to testing 15 & 10 Sunday
morning, I felt like I owned the bands!  I was even called by an S9+ VE8 on 15M,
but there were also periodic lulls on both bands.  Just wait a couple of minutes
and signals were up again.  The station setup worked perfectly and the only
interruptions were to check status of the Volt and to take a five hour break
when the operator ran out of gas!