[3830] ARRLDX SSB N2RJ(@K2TTT/SK) M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 3 19:56:07 EST 2019

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: N2RJ
Operator(s): N2RJ N2WKS KC2GOW
Station: K2TTT/SK

Class: M/2 HP
Cabrillo Category: Multi-Two All-Band HP
QTH: NNJ

   10:    4     3
-------------------
Total: 1311   297  Total Score = 1,154,736

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

How to start with this...

At the beginning of last week we laid to rest an absolutely wonderful human
being - Jay, K2TTT. We were shattered by his passing but kind of expected it
given his prolonged illness. We spoke to his wife, Judi and she said we could
operate from the station for ARRL SSB. Jay would have wanted us to. Sadly, this
may be the last ARRL SSB from here. We will miss you, Jay.

The disturbed ionosphere gave us absolutely tough conditions. Friday night on
40, 80 and 160 were bad but not that bad. Actually, 160 was surprisingly good,
given the antenna is a low inverted vee.

Saturday morning, we tried hard to open 20 but it wouldn't budge. It wasn't
until 1133z that we got our first 20m QSO in the log, 1139z when we got our
first European station in the log and 1250 when we could actually run at a
decent rate. There was a weird almost spotlight propagation and very deep QSB.
That continued until mid-day and the band just kind of died off.

Sunday was a bit better but still not as good. Just awful conditions all
weekend. Then the snow started to fall and we had to cut it short. Oh well, it
was fun.

Many thanks to Jay and Judi for hosting us and other ops over the years. See you
down the log. Dit dit.