[3830] ARRLDX SSB N6WM(@N6RO) M/M HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 3 22:09:02 EST 2019

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: N6WM
Operator(s): N6RO N6WM K3EST WX5S K6DAJ AJ6CY NA6O
Station: N6RO

Class: M/M HP
Cabrillo Category: Multi-Multi All-Band HP
QTH: Oakley, CA
Remote Operation

   10:   18     5
-------------------
Total: 1510   275  Total Score = 1,242,450

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Another ARRL DX in the books at Radio Oakley.  Thanks as always to Ken for his
hospitality and hosting the team once again.

We had some staffing issues for parts of the contest.. So we had to do the best
we could with what we had.  We even had K6DAJ come in via Remote to help keep
momentum. Unfortunately we were hit with some bad weather sporadically.
Complimenting the traditional stormy weather was some solar badness as well.

Solar Storm - Check
Terrestrial storm - Check
Rain Static - Check
Staffing challengs - Check

The result, a pretty tough slog for the team.  This score is down 700k from the
last time we operated under my call 2 years ago.

10M: K6DAJ NA6O N6WM - Nearly not there.  were fortunate to get some of the
usual solar minimum suspects in SA, as well as OC.  total grind.
15M: K6DAJ AJ6CY NA6O - Not that great, but good opportunity to offer training
to budding contester AJ6CY who is getting some quality chair time.  no EU,
decent to SA and Carribean, some JA
20M: K3EST - Bob is a master at draining the 20m band of all possibilities, but
the were greatly limited by the apparent solar issues.  He stated this was some
of the worst conditions for this test he can recall.
40M: N6WM Fri night-Sat AM WX5S Sat night-Sun AM - I must have drawn the lucky
run stick. Even though our numbers are down, I had a great time working Asiatic
Russia LP(picking up a ZS along the way) as well as scoring a fairly decent JA
run putting over 300 50w and lower JA in the log overnight.  Still poor
propagation into Western EU kept our mults down, Only EU I managed to log was on
the long path.  WX5S was not fortunate to hit the JA Paydirt I did the night
prior, but he managed to add a few mults and about 100 more qso's.
80M: N6RO and K6DAJ via remote: Ken was happy with the mult count, even sneaking
into EU, but the QSO volume was down and minimal JA activity.  Dave says the
pileups were difficult and large, even with the 4sq.
160M: N6RO K3EST: glad to get the mults that we did, with N6RO doing most of the
heavy lifting, the master was at work, Bob started out there a bit to help.

Ken provided the team with a meal of contest chili Saturday night, in fact a
modified recipe that included the addition of some pulled pork.

Challenges above and beyond the expected
1.  Rain static.  ugh.  especially during morning grey-line LP into EU.
2.  Rotor problems on 20m stack.. misbehaving POT causing grief.
3.  Occasional crash of flex 6600-M

As always thanks to all for the QSO's, the N6RO superstation is there to host
multi-op contests first and foremost, and the camaraderie of our team is worth
slogging through these tough conditions.. (but better conditions would be
appreciated!!)

73 and seeya at the end of the month in WPX for more Sideband fun! (you know the
drill ice breaker sours, riccola, altoids, water or soda with a straw).

Chris
N6WM