[3830] ARRLDX SSB PJ2T M/M HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 4 09:26:28 EST 2019

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: PJ2T
Operator(s): KB7Q K8PGJ W0CG N1ZZ AF4Z WB5ZGA W4EE W1BQ N4EN
Station: PJ2T

Class: M/M HP
Cabrillo Category: Multi-Multi All-Band HP
QTH: Curacao

   40: 2434    59
   20: 2361    59
   15: 1626    55
Total: 7729   290  Total Score = 6,713,790

Club: CCC

Comments:

Our team this weekend was predominately first-time contesters. Only two of our
CCC members wanted to work this contest (it’s SSB), so we were fortunate to be
able to build out a multi/multi team with guests. We were very happy to welcome
six members of the Platinum Coast Amateur Radio Society, Melbourne, Florida, to
PJ2T. (See https://www.pcars.org/) PCARS’ President is Dan, N1ZZ, founder of
West Mountain Radio and a long time member of CCC, active from Curacao for many
years. Dan saw an opportunity for five of his club friends who are not
contesters to get a firehose style experience in a big contest on the DX side,
so he invited them to join us for ARRL SSB. These five from PCARS were augmented
by our member Pete, K8PGJ. Gene, KB7Q, PJ2T’s winter “caretaker” also
operated some shifts in the contest, and I did a couple of hours on 15 when not
working on maintenance projects around the house and station. Most of our guests
arrived unfamiliar with N1MM and the K3 transceiver, but they learned fast and
practiced hard prior to the contest. This was a great opportunity for these guys
to learn something about contesting from the DX side, and we hope that they will
say that we helped mint some new contesters this weekend.

Conditions were rotten, of course, and at times our Multi/Multi was a Multi/One
on 20. A high “A” index and lots of atmospheric noise made the low bands
tough. 10 opened only very slightly and briefly, mostly only to the southern
tier states.

Contest Sunday, March 3, was N1ZZ’s 80th birthday! We are flattered that he
spent that momentous day with us, his alternate family, and we did cake and
candles for him Sunday night. (The singing was terrible.) Dan is a very young
and fit octogenarian, and he sets a good example for all of us: keep playing
tennis, stay busy, and never just sit.

Thanks to all of the PCARS operators for making the trip. Walter, WA5ZGA (his
first trip out of the U.S.); Greg, N4EN; Alan, W1BQ; Don, AF4Z; Jim, W4EE, and
of course their leader Dan Gravereaux, N1ZZ. Walter is from New Orleans and
cooked up some authentic southern cuisine for us. Between that and a week’s
exposure to their accents, Gene and Pete and I almost qualify for honorary
status as ex-officio southerners.

Thanks also to all of our CCC members who have pitched in effort and resources
year after year so that PJ2T can stay active, now in our 19th continuous year.
Particular thanks to N7IR for keeping the K3s and the rest of the station
shipshape, KB7Q for supporting all things computer, KB7Q for hosting and
training the ARRL SSB team, and our onsite workers last fall who helped get our
new 100 foot Rohn 55 tower in the air: WI9WI, KA9DOC, NR0X, AD7XG, VE3CX, K8PGJ,
KF4DX, W8WTS, W3YQ, DF9LJ, K5NA, G3IRN, KY7M, W1FJ, VE3TW, VA7AM, Svetlana, and
my partner Dorothy.

Look for PJ2T in WPX SSB, staffed mainly by a group of Georgians led by K1ZN.

     73,

            - Geoff, W0CG, PJ2DX, for the entire PJ2T gang