[3830] Commonwealth G4PIQ SO-Open12 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 10 18:19:00 EDT 2019

                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest - 2019

Call: G4PIQ
Operator(s): G4PIQ
Station: G4PIQ

Class: SO-Open12 HP
QTH: JO02od
Operating Time (hrs): 9h 10m

Total:  203  Total Score = 3,975

Once again, I entered this in the Single Op, Un-Assisted, Domestic Harmony
section which meant I operated as much time as I could while balancing it with
everything that needed to be done around the family this weekend. That meant
that, although my official on-time is 10h 28 mins (with minimum of 1 hour gaps),
my actual operating time was 9h 10 min. Sadly I had to QRT at 2300 on Saturday
night which was too early to have made the most of 40m and 80m.

I operated from my home station which is relatively limited with dipoles in a
tree and an old battered TET tri-bander on a 55ft pole mast. The tri-bander has
developed a nasty intermittent (I think around the phasing lines) where the
front-to-back can go into reverse, and signals can go up and down by 15dB very
rapidly. That showed itself a lot this weekend, and RBN data shows that I was
really weak on 20m – at least 10dB down on Don, G3BJ. I need to find the time
to drop the pole and fix that – but actually I really need to get a tower in
the ground.

I thought conditions on 40m sounded pretty good – I was amazed at the number
of ZL stations I worked there. 80 also didn’t seem too bad – 3 x VK in the
evening and 4 x ZL at our sunrise was nice with just the dipole. 20 on the other
hand seemed poor – no VE6 or VE7 on Saturday, and very little from VK/ZL on
Sunday morning – though I was making breakfast for the family at peak time. On
15 – just a handful worked, and on 10m – only UK HQ stations. Many thanks to
the HQ stations for the activity and the moves. I got a full house with G6XX,
GM6XX, GM3DR and GB5CC, but missed GI6XX and GW6XX on 15 and 10. Thanks to
Stewart for the try on 15 – but NIL here.

Of course – many thanks to all the travellers for their hard work in making it
more fun for all of us.

BAND   QSO DUP DXC  HQ  POINTS BONUS   AVG
   80    33   0  16   7     165   560 21.97
   40    90   1  23  11     450  1160 17.89
   20    64   2  25   8     320   920 19.38
   15    12   0   7   4      60   240 25.00
   10     4   0   0   4      20    80 25.00
TOTAL   203   3  71  34    1015  2960 19.58
            TOTAL SCORE : 3 975

Rig : 2 x K3 + Ten Tec Titan + Alpha 87A
Ant : 80 / 40 – Inv-V Dipoles @ 18m
      HF : Broken 4el Tri-bander @ 17m
      K9AY

73