[3830] Rus DX HG3N(HA3LN) SOSB/80 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 17 17:19:47 EDT 2019

                    Russian DX Contest - 2019

Call: HG3N
Operator(s): HA3LN
Station: HA3LN

Class: SOSB/80 HP
QTH: EEU

   80:  801    174       67        63
Total:  801    174       67        63  Total Score = 679,510

Club: Hungarian DX Club

Comments:

I was preparing for SOAB but could not finish the antennas on time,
needed to pick a band and 80m was the one to test the new vertical.
As it was tuned to CW end with no SSB option installed the SSB part
was a struggle for the amp. I had to pick freq close to 3600 KHz to
fell the just acceptable bandwidth and see who will tune that down
on the band. Seeing the QSO totals not that many...

"Funny" HW issue over the night. Installed new "mother-in-law
tongue"
style relay at the feed-point to accommodate the close proximity RX
antennas decoupling. The specialty of this piece, it does not have
NC position, both of the connections need 24V to get activated.
The (trying to be smart) engineer decided to save some components
and energy and placed the relay into upright position to get gravity
into the picture. BUT!! Due to some momentary power supply glitch
somehow it released the "tongue" and **could not** pull it back to
short the coax to the antenna. Every time when this happened had
to jump into the shoes and run out to the vertical base, open the
feed-box and help the relay manually to the required position...
Was nice running exercise let say 10 times from 22 to 03UT in
every 15-20 minutes. Dunno why after this period this did not
happened again...

Making matters worse around 05UT on Sunday I was very proud with
cleaning up the bandmap having no 10 pointers and couple of other
not-yet-worked stns left. Petit malheur, realized I forgot to plug
the charger to the phone I used to tether the iNET and its battery
dried out silently. Have no idea how long time I was running without
cluster support.

Great catch of ZM1A and VK2IA. Hats off to the guys who solved the
difficult EU pile very quickly.

Good surprise of N2TA @0533 with real S9+10dB sigs on the vertical
and K5KU @0553. (my SR is @0457UT). The TX vertical had surprisingly
good ears this time but now cannot defer the RX antennas any longer.

Nice run on the cqcontest.net with HA8JV, LY7Z, S52W and E7CW.
Could not give up in the morning on the dying band when you see the
closing gaps... :-)

Thanks for the calls and the activity.
Will be back next year.

73!