[3830] WPX SSB K5WA(@K5TU) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 31 16:48:55 EDT 2019

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: K5WA
Operator(s): K5WA
Station: K5TU

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: TX

   40: 1282
   20: 1289

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Kim, K5TU, let me borrow his fabulous station for this one since my normal
station was booked up.  Kim is putting together a real nice station primarily
for chasing DX but it can sure make waves in contests too.  He has plans to make
it even better with a second tower and mult-hunting antenna.  We've got the
basics for SO2R but will need to tweak things a bit to jump to the next level.
I'm field testing things this weekend but the only thing I'm getting for Kim is
a 2.1 KHz filter for SSB since he's purely a CW man.  Rough on the ears without
one!

WPX SSB is always fun even as you're beating your head against the wall.  I felt
like I had to jump on this one a little harder than usual since I could not
participate in the Russian DX contest to hopefully gather some WRTC points
(wishful thinking with N5AW in the area) but I heard WK5T, NN5J and a couple of
other 5-landers that are probably going to make this a bad idea since they score
so well.  Oh well, I've had my shot at WRTC and promised my wife I wouldn't do a
full bore WRTC qualification this cycle anyway.

Kim's full size 4 element JK 40M antenna is a beast and his stack of JK 20M
antennas (on a rotating tower) were very stout performers.  Sure wish I had them
at my station.  ;-)

Thanks for the QSOs and I promise I'll stick to CW for all those guys I offended
this weekend.  It sure seems like the concept of checking a frequency first
before calling CQ is completely out the window.  ;-)

73,
Bob K5WA