[3830] NewEngQP N8II Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu May 9 11:27:49 EDT 2019

                    New England QSO Party - 2019

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:     41       11
   40:    101       59
   20:     38        3
------------------------
Total:    180       73  Mults = 57  Total Score = 24,681

This QTH is always "second class citizen" territory for NEQP; even in
fairly good years most of the time most of New England is skipping over on 20.
Very few mobile QSO's were possible. This year, it was virtually all of the
time, strongest signal was about S7, most worked on 20 much weaker. The up side
is that 40 is open well to all but northern Maine (AKA WA1Z/M) virtually all
day. Saturday evening until around 0115Z signals were booming on 40, but I did
not start until 0020Z which was about the point I gave up on struggling with
7QP. Despite signals being loud on 40 and 80, I had to wait in line quite a few
times to get through. I was tired and just not enjoying the radio, so last QSO
of evening was at 0122Z.

Sunday morning, activity was good on 40 CW, quite poor on 40 phone (first sweep
of band heard only 1 station!). The great majority of my CW Q's were S&P.
Around noon, guys started showing up on 40 phone; I had a few decent 40 phone
runs until about the time that CW activity really perked back up, then running
on 40 phone slowed almost to nil. At 22Z, most New England stations were
skipping over me on 40, but by 2330Z most except western CT were back. 80 was
open in last 2 hours, but activity was considerably less than 40.

Thanks to all of the mobiles for their efforts. I worked mobiles WA1Z and NZ1U
quite a few times, even heard NZ1U on 80 around 2305Z over an hour before
sunset.

Considering I only made about 40 Q's Saturday, I am pleased with the Q's and
mults. It was an unassisted effort, admittedly stupid considering using spots is
apparently allowed. But to me, it is much more rewarding. Next year should be
the year I concentrate more on NEQP. Thanks for all of the Q's.

73, Jeff