[3830] WPX CW PJ7/W3DQ SOSB20 QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun May 26 23:48:38 EDT 2019

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: PJ7/W3DQ
Operator(s): W3DQ
Station: PJ7/W3DQ

Class: SOSB20 QRP
QTH: Sint Maarten
Operating Time (hrs):

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

When, a couple of month's ago, we decided we would go to Sint Maarten (PJ7) for
the Memorial Day week, Peter W2CDO, offered his KX3 and Alexloop antenna for me
to take along.

Despite being a skeptic and not having used either the radio or antenna, I
figured "why not?"

I hadn't intended to operate in this contest. Instead, My goal was to be active
with FT8, as it would provide a diversion during the week.

I didn't have much time on the air, and QRP with a mediocre antenna is quite the
challenge in any contest. I was only on 20m, where there were some awfully loud
signals.

It seemed to take forever to make a Q. The long callsign (PJ7/W3DQ) didn't help,
either.

I certainly have a great deal of respect for the regular QRPers. It's quite a
slog, that's for sure.

In the end, the hours were long, the Q's were few, but the fun I had was well
worth the effort!

See you in the next one...from home.

73, Eric W3DQ
a/k/a PJ7W3DQ