[3830] WPX CW OG7A(OH6MW) SO(A)AB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon May 27 02:51:32 EDT 2019

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: OG7A
Operator(s): OH6MW
Station: OH6MW

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: kp20

   20: 1368

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

It was fun. Now it is Monday morning, tired but happy. Day off from work. Some
equipment problems, we had thunderstorm on Wednesday and noticed when assembled
the station that one of the towers was not rotating. Did some quick tests and
decided that the one is going to be fixed direction tower in this contest.
Probably lightning damage in the motor.

Propagation was not as good as it was in 2018. Both 15 and 10 had ES-skip to
south, some fast runs but can't remember any special dx propagation over there.
Some ZS etc. 20m had both NA and JA propagation but aurora gave us problems here
in north and propagation was far away from great 2018 conditions. Both JA and NA
openings on 40m but influenced by aurora. Nice EU runs on 80m.

I started so2r dual cqing from the first hour, in the beginning 40 / 20, later
20/15 and 20/10. Some relay problems which I couldn't fix during the contest but
fortunately not so severe. Just made me to make more copying errors than SO1R
ops. Had to ask repeats more often etc. But dual cqing was great extra to this
propagation and conditions. It probably sounded sometimes that I was deaf but
actually it just meant that I had a group of callers on the other band and
making qso on the other band. As a total result it surely gave me some extra
qsos. Not so fluent and smooth than SO1R but more efficient in the long run.

Operated 35 hours. Rest periods were not propagation optimized but actually
optimized for "Total fun factor of the weekend". So I watched both
Formula 1 Monaco grand prix and Icehockey world championships. Finland won the
ice hockey world championship. Fantastic.

I reached the current Finnish CQ WPX CW record in my class, single op all band
assisted, but my margin is too small. Teijo OG6N is going to keep the record.

Thank you very much for all the qsos, it was great fun. See you in next
contest.

73 Ari OH6MW OG7A