[3830] WPX CW KU2M SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon May 27 16:24:30 EDT 2019

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: KU2M
Operator(s): KU2M
Station: KU2M

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Wayne, NJ

Total:  852  Prefixes = 485  Total Score = 1,154,300

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

When I returned home from work on Friday afternoon to be greeted by a black cat
in my driveway who was giving me the finger, I knew I was in for a bad weekend.

As if on cue, my back gave out from overwork that evening, and made it
impossible to stay in the chair for any period of time without excruciating
pain. Then again, doing Low Power in a time of Low (or should I say No) Sunspots
is torture enough by itself, but some people just don't know when to say
"uncle." As it turned out, my back said "uncle" for me,
early in the contest, and in deference to my back, toward which I have learned
to show the utmost respect (or else), I decided to bag it, and blame it all on
the black cat.

The only good thing about this forgettable weekend was that a half hour before
the close of the contest I was back at the radio, my back having recovered a
bit, and decided, just for the halibut, to check 15 meters to see if there might
be any Caribbean or SA mults coming through. On my P3 panadapter, it looked like
my trip to 15 had been in vain, since the band appeared totally dead except for
two fairly loud signals - and to my utter astonishment, when I checked out those
modest blips, they turned out to be 9A1A and LZ9W! HOLY BELATED CHRISTMAS!! Was
I dreaming? Had I passed out from back pain and was now hallucinating? I checked
the frequency readout - yup, I was on 15! How was this possible? I hadn't heard
anything on 15 meters coming from Europe in.... YEARS! Unfortunately, nobody
else was coming in from that direction, but it was great to hear - and work -
some DX on that band from a direction other than south!