[3830] WPX CW CK3RUA(VE3RUA) SO(A)AB TB-Wires LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon May 27 17:39:05 EDT 2019

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: CK3RUA
Operator(s): VE3RUA
Station: VE3RUA

Class: SO(A)AB LP
Class Overlay: TB-Wires
QTH: Kenora, ON

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

A three-quarters of an hour more time than last year (21.3 vs 20.6 hours) but 46
fewer Qs and 40 fewer mults. 40 was a bit better than last year but 20 was,
generally, poorer. 80 and 15 were about the same with 10 actually producing a
few Qs this year, but nothing like what our EU and AF friends experienced! I
thought the CK3 call/mult would attract some attention but most attempts at
running had poor results.

I was astonished to find 20 open to EU between midnight and 2AM local time. EU
stations I could hear were usually worked with one call, which is extraordinary.
10 was open more than the QSO total reflects with stations often worked with S9
signals but few other activity on the band from those areas. This happened most
often to 6-land.

One thing that hurt is the sudden appearance of broadband noise late Saturday
morning that showed at S5-6 levels on 40, 20, 15 and 10. My noise at the Kenora
QTH is normally S0-1. It was sporadic for a couple of hours then subsided but it
came when EU was readily workable on 20 and probably caused a loss of Qs and
mults!

I'll repeat the worn mantra: "Wait 'til next year"! :>)