[3830] SS CW VE3VN Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 3 22:22:19 EST 2019

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW - 2019

Call: VE3VN
Operator(s): VE3VN
Station: VE3VN

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: ONE

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

QRP SO2R: the art of not be heard on two bands at the same time. I can casually
eat a meal while CQing on two bands.

It was frustrating but I expected that. Rate painfully slow in the final hours.
Towards the end I got PR but no dice on MB (my home). Lots of S&P so kept
running across VE4VT and VE4GV. Could not get through because 5 watts can't
compete with the pile ups. So one shy of the sweep.

The day before the contest I built the most useless piece of equipment ever.
Since I sold my KX3 I need the FTdx5000 for QRP. It only dials down to 10 watts.
I built a 3 db pad that can dissipate 5 watts. What a waste of components.

Tried 2 keyboard SO2R with N1MM+. Although there's more swivelling it's less
confusing. Keyboard errors don't result in confusion and wrong messages being
sent. It has its own quirks I'm trying to puzzle out.

Got antennas repaired before the contest and even finished up my 80m vertical
yagi. Not too directive but the gain is a help. Except that W4 peaks to the
northwest. I assume I made a wiring error rather than it being long path.