[3830] SS CW K8BL SO Unlimited LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 5 18:55:21 EST 2019

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW - 2019

Call: K8BL
Operator(s): K8BL
Station: K8BL

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: Ohio

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

A wind storm took down one of my two and only working antennas (G5RV) and
left me with only an End-Fed 124 ft LW. Since the WX was nice on Friday,
I dug out my 40M and 80M Double Bazookas from Field Day. These got strung
up from my chimney at about 30 ft. The ends wound up about 8 ft off the
ground. SS being a domestic contest, higher angle radiation is usually
desirable.

The hastily erected antennas worked very well, all things considered. The
40 DBL BZKA got me on 15M for a few Q's & Mults and did nicely on its
designed freq. The EF-LW worked surprisingly well on 20M and allowed me
to get the NT Mult in spite of being directly off the end, but VI and PR
were incredibly weak. Got them late on 40M. 80M was the money Band for Q's
as usual.

Here are my gripes: 1) I HATE abbreviated numbers, especially in the CK.
You get into the rhythm of copying an Exchange and somebody sends you a
CK of DAH DAH-DIT!! WTF is THAT? TN? 09? Is that a Year or Tenn??? OMG!!
2) WHY send a leading Zero in the Serial Number? It takes time and it isn't
helpful after you're past single digits. When the Station is weak or has
QSB, you're stuck trying to figure out if it's really a number or not and
causes resends often several times. 3) The Rules specifically state that
you must include your Call with your Exchange. Some Stations decided not
to do that again this year, maybe they think they are too cool/smart to
go by the Rules. This year, I made them repeat their Exchange or asked
for fills just to tick them off - HIHI. 4) Dupes. My personal feeling is
that I work all Dupes that call me in case they busted MY Call previously.
But, sometimes a Station calls that I know is a Dupe and I send them my
exchange anyway. Many times, they'll come back with "SRI DUP". What I
hate
is when they realize the Dupe and just disappear and leaving me there to
wait for a response that never comes!!! 5) End of this year's gripes.

Was sorry to hear that Jay VY1JA is ailing and taking down his Station. The
NT Mult is such a tough one and we have relied on Jay to be there for us
to hand it out for oh so many years. Many Thanks, Jay!!