[3830] SS SSB N8II Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Nov 20 11:00:52 EST 2019

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WV

It was a really wacky SS. Conditions Saturday night were really poor with very
long skip and even more distant stations were not as loud as usual on 75M. This
is the first phone SS going back to the 70's when I could not get a good run
going on 75M the first evening. Skip was short at 2320Z, but very few stations
were there. By the time they showed up, the skip zone was already past much of
the populated northeast, no one from 2 or 3 land, and no OH. After battling to
work the called stations I could hear, I decided at 0140Z I had had enough of it
after only 208 Q's.
Many of my 75M Q's were in were in a 1 hour stretch at 12Z. But soon I had to
move to 40 which had very long skip similar to 75 the night before wiping out
possibility for Q's with well populated areas and PVRC. I pecked away running
when I could and S&P'ed for mults/Q's in between. 20 was a challenge with
the long skip and crowded band. 15 opened around 1745Z. Some signals were
booming in with N9RV the loudest and W7RN very loud as well. I was able to run
at a decent rate for about 15 minutes; my first ID called in as well as the only
BC I worked. Later running on 20 WTX called in for section 82. When I hit the
500 QSO mark I almost quit, but the pace was picking up a bit on both 40 and 20,
so I kept going. Then, at 2127Z, I went back to 40 and there was a SS miracle!
The skip zone had dramatically shortened thanks to sporadic E and the Q's came
rolling in from those
well populated sections nearby. I ran 57 Q's between 2129 and 2209Z and then at
2305Z I returned to find virtually no skip zone and ran another 138 Q's through
0025Z. 75 was not catching fire yet, so I quit at 01Z. PR was missed for the
sweep.

Many thanks for the Q's. The issue with slow data entry from callers seemed
better this year. Most of the time when I called a station it was easy to get
through despite the poor conditions including some backscatter Q's on 20.
Hopefully next year will be better.

73, Jeff