[3830] CQWW CW DK5TRI SO(A)AB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sat Nov 23 19:00:36 EST 2019

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: DK5TRI
Operator(s): DK5TRI
Station: DK5TRI

Class: SO(A)AB LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 4
Remote Operation

  160:  25      3       16
   80:  39      7       22
   40:   0      0        0
   20:  10      4        5
   15:   3      2        3
   10:   0      0        0
------------------------------
Total:  77     16       46  Total Score = 6,138

Club: Rhein Ruhr DX Association

Comments:

Murphy + Gremlins = Contest Kaputt

“We cannot choose our external circumstances, but we can always choose how we
respond to them.”
~ Epictetus

It started all well. Everything was working fine at the start of the contest. I
started on 160m with a compromise antenna, an 80m inverted-L, and was able to
make a few contacts. Switched to 80m and stayed for a while and then decided to
get some sleep to catch the early opening of 20m. Turned off the radio and went
to bed. BAD idea! When I returned into the shack and turned on the radio things
didn't work as expected. No CAT control from N1MM to the radio via the RemoteRig
box. WTF? I haven't changed anything, computer was still running as left before.
After some unsuccessful troubleshooting decided that I really don't need CAT
control and continued without. After about 20 minutes the next thing was off.
The CW keying via N1MM looked weird on the control panel of the radio. As the
sidetone is coming from the keyer in the remote box it wasn't apparent at first.
but sure enough, nothing readable was being sent. A quick check via Websdr.org
confirmed, only a steady tone instead of lovely dits and dahs. The next WTF?
moment.
More troubleshooting ensued, again with no result. OK, I can send by hand, or
can I? Nope, the paddles had the same effect, just a steady tone. Even my
straight key left me stranded. Further troubleshooting at 5 am in the morning
confirmed, the best solution is to go back to bed and sleep.

Some ZZZs later and further attempts at troubleshooting finally delivered the
death blow to this years effort. Is there a sprint category in CQWW?

So in keeping with old stoic wisdom, instead of seeing it as a bad event, the
upside is more sleep and quality time with the family. Next year will be a new
chance.

Thanks for the QSOs to be had and hope everybody else's equipment lasted longer.
It sure felt like I was using Ferrari Formula 1 gear in terms of reliability.

Rig: TS-480 via RemoteRig
Ant: 80m inv-L

73 Mike DK5TRI / K5TRI