[3830] CQWW CW W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 25 00:06:38 EST 2019

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA

  160:    3     3        2
   80:   31    11       13
   40:   67    13       25
   20:  158    23       47
   15:   51    17       28
   10:    9     7        7

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

STATION W8QZA:

Radio: Elecraft K-2, 5 Watts.

Antennas:
  10-15-20 Meters: 3 el Stepp-IR up 32 feet
  40 Meters: Vertical with 3 radials
  80 Meters: Inverted L with 2 radials
  40 & 160 Meters: DX-LB trap dipole up 30 feet
Well, conditions were certainly a lot better than the SSB weekend.  It is much
easier to stay awake over night when you can actually work a station every few
minutes or so!

It was wonderful to see so much Japanese activity again. 26% of all my QSOs were
with JA stations!

My best QSO of the contest was VP2MDM on 80 meters. This is because it was my
DXCC No. 94 on my long march to 80 M DXCC (all QRP, of course). It made the
contest for me! It shows I can still get a new one on 80 without using FT-8!

Another good one was getting ZD7W on 15 M and then getting him again on 20 M. I
was also delighted to get 3 QSOs on 160 because I'm used to only working a local
for the double mult if I'm lucky!

My score was about 30% higher than last year with about 20% more QSOs. My DXCC
and WAZ were actually slightly less than last year.  My DXCC was 54 and WAZ was
25. I only had 16 QSOs into Europe.

So from my standpoint, it looks like this cycle has bottomed out and I can still
work a lot of DX at the bottom.

Well, now to rest up until it starts again in February. For now I just want to
get to bed and make up for the lost sleep.

...Bill Parker  W8QZA - W6QU   qrp