[3830] CQWW CW K1IR M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 25 01:08:42 EST 2019

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: K1IR
Operator(s): KE1J K1IR
Station: K1IR

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: MA

  160:  165    16       77
   80:  466    28      108
   40:  604    33      131
   20: 1218    33      138
   15:  172    22       85
   10:   41    13       24

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Thank you Lars KE1J, for putting in all that chair time and always bringing a
family-size pack of Chips Ahoy.

I'd also like to pass along my thanks to the many who helped out with K1IR
antenna projects this year - K1XM KQ1F NN1C K1VR AA1ON K1RX K1UR - and I'm sure
there are others I'm leaving out. I very much appreciate your extra efforts,
which also helped me with what feels like about a 60% recovery from the back
injury I had back in April.

So many good friends doing expeditions really makes for a great weekend. Your
efforts to activate all these rare and not-so-rare mults is very much
appreciated.

Other thoughts from this weekend. Excellent low-band conditions. Antennas all
seemed to work quite well, unlike this year's WW SSB, when we were convinced
that our 80m and 40m antennas were not attached. 40m ring needs that second
motor we've been talking about for years. Instant direction switching with a
4-square on 40m is another good project to work on.

Here's a story from the contest that encourages me about our community. It was
Sunday 1200z and JA3YBK was running on 3523. The US pile was pretty big. It was
tough going for him. He was being heard, but he was having a lot of trouble
hearing. A few US west coast stations were able to get through, with great
difficulty. I called for a while and noted that I was calling on alternating
(and sometimes overlapping) time slots with my friend Ted, N9NB. YBK finally got
a couple of the letters of my call and I started to help him get the rest of it.
What happened at that moment was quite incredible. The sea of US stations seemed
to part for at least 8 or 10 exchanges as I worked him through all four
characters of my lengthy call sign. We must have been pushing 2 minutes. After
the QSO was confirmed, I stayed to see if Ted could make his own Q happen. A
couple of QSOs later, he had the same parting of the Red Sea experience during
his very lengthy exchange with YBK. It was so striking, I texted him about the
experience later and he said something about "gentlemen"!

73 Jim K1IR