[3830] CQWW CW VP2VWW(AA7V) SO(A)AB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 25 07:37:44 EST 2019

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: VP2VWW
Operator(s): AA7V
Station: VP2VWW

Class: SO(A)AB LP
QTH: VP2V

  160:    1     1        1
   80:  351    15       57
   40:  456    13       49
   20: 1071    21       87
   15:  972    19       63
   10:    1     1        1

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

Hauled 3 suitcases with 2 radios, 2 power supplies, 2 laptops, 1 antenna tuner
with ladder line and 3 dipoles from Phoenix to Tortola. I figured I could not
risk any radio or laptop issues so everything was pretty much redundant, except
of course, the tuner which failed with no backup.

Started the contest with good rates, felt loud and ready to try to stay awake
for 48 hours. The first 6 hours were very good on 40 and 80, about 800 QSOs.

Murphy struck when the antenna tuner box failed. I knew my 40 and 80 operations
were over. At 2 AM local time I was outside tearing down the 80 meter antenna to
bring it in the house. I replaced the 450 ohm ladder line with coax and re-sized
the 80 down to 20 meters. I hung the 20 meter dipole off the deck up with a
paddle-board oar and dangled the wires over the edge.
This hi-tech antenna can be seen on qrz.com

The problem was RF in shack was now strong as the radio was about 10 feet from
the antenna. I was able to get 50 watts MAX to work but the laptop would still
lock up about every 20 minutes or so.

I was surprised as to how many QSOs I was able to make on 20 and 15 with 50
watts. I only heard 2 stations on 10 meters and was able to work 1, ZD7W.

One drawback with many of these island locations is unless your are literally on
top of the island, you are bound to be blocked in some direction. For me it was
to the south. I only worked 1 zone 10 station on 1 band. I missed all other S
America zones and countries on all bands.

I think my days of hauling 2 stations in 3 suitcases is about over. The idea of
going to an established station is quite appealing.

Many thanks to all the called me and a special thanks to my zone 8 and 9
neighbors that pulled me out of the noise on 15 and 20.